Today I was inspired by a client who told me a story about saying "NO" to a job! I know it's hard, but I will tell you what that NO does for you...
- It tells your client you have a standard or a boundary of what you can and can't do: whether it be money, intergrity, time, space, creativity, etc...
- It tells your other current clients that you care about their product delivery
- It tells YOURSELF you are worthy
- and lastly...it FREES you to say no again and again!
I also had a client a while back tell me the same thing. He had done his marketing, he was DOING awesome and was finally able to tell a NOT SO NICE client "NO" and he said it was one of the best feelings...to be ABLE to say "NO" I wish that for you all.
I had a collegue last week say to me - "Amanda don't you know how to say no" (after telling him how I organized a portfolio review...WHICH I LOVE DOING and PLANNED my son's 3rd b-day party, for my entire family to take a train ride on Amtrak...all in the same weekend after a long work week)...And we laughed. He is older and MORE EXPERIENCE as I like to say and I joked right back...In my 20's I couldn't spell "NO", in my 30's I am using it a little, but I still cringe when those words UTTER past my lips...since I LOVE helping everyone I can. He said by 40 you will be a pro.
So ask yourself:
- WHAT ARE MY BOUNDARIES?
- WHAT IS MY WORTH?
- BY SAYING "YES" TO THIS ONE THING...WHAT AM I SAYING "NO" TO?
May you say "NO" and GROW with it!